This scrumptious, savory tomato pie recipe will make you need to run, not stroll, to the farmer’s market to purchase extra tomatoes!
Layers of recent tomatoes, basil and two sorts of cheese are baked in a flaky pastry for an unforgettable dish.
Tomato pie is a meatless minimize above pizza that may make you need to load up on all that farm-ripe produce when it’s in season.
A Favourite Contemporary Tomato Recipe
Tomato pie, often known as Alabama pie, is Southern impressed recipe and one which I really look ahead to.
- Tomato pie is a savory pie, good for having fun with a bounty of recent, garden-ripe tomatoes and herbs.
- Use any number of tomatoes on this recipe, together with Roma, heirloom, or grape tomatoes.
- Savroy and scrumptious, this can be a meatles meal that everybody will love.
- It’s nice for any time of yr as a result of it tastes equally scrumptious, served scorching, heat, and even chilly, with a crisp white picnic wine.
Elements and Variations
- Tomatoes: Use Roma tomatoes (plum tomatoes) for the most effective outcomes, as they aren’t too juicy. You should use any number of tomatoes, so long as they’re good and ripe however make sure that you permit them to empty effectively. I like the addition of cherry/grape tomatoes for his or her sweet-tart taste.
- Cheese: Mozzarella & cheddar add an ideal mix of flavors. Mozza helps seal the underside of the pie crust throughout baking whereas the sharp cheddar cheese provides a wealthy taste. A little bit of mayo is added to among the cheese to make an ideal topping.
- Pastry: A home made pie crust is nice on this recipe but when time’s brief, store-bought pie crusts and even frozen dough will do the trick. You’ll want to poke it with the tines of a fork so it doesn’t bubble because it bakes. Prep the pastry as much as 3 days prematurely and retailer it in an air tight container or plastic wrap within the fridge.
- Herbs: Contemporary herbs, particularly basil, are so good on this recipe. Should you don’t have recent, dried basil can be utilized (only a sprinkle will do).
- Variations: Be at liberty so as to add your favourite herbs, sliced inexperienced onions, or bacon to alter it up.
Easy methods to Make Tomato Pie
- Line a pie plate with pastry, add a sprinkle of cheese, and bake for a couple of minutes.
- Peel the tomatoes after which slice, salt, and let drain. Fill the pie crust with layers of tomatoes, cheese and herbs.
- Mix the remaining cheese with mayonnaise and dot the highest with the cheese combination.
- Bake till browned and bubbly.
Suggestions for the Finest Tomato Pie
- Poke holes over the underside of the pastry with a fork to keep away from it effervescent up (you’ll be able to skip the pie weights or beans).
- To forestall over-browning or burning the pastry, press some strips of aluminum foil across the edges earlier than it goes into the oven the second time.
- For the tomato slices, use ripe, low-moisture plum tomatoes.
- Permit to chill earlier than slicing and serve with a tangy crisp salad dressed with lemon or Dijon vinaigrette. and a few fluffy homemade rolls or focaccia bread.
Tomato pie is scrumptious served chilly, and can maintain as much as 4 days within the fridge. Tomato pie may be frozen, however bear in mind that it’s going to launch moisture and soften the pastry because it reheats.
Did you make this Tomato Pie? You’ll want to go away a score and a remark under!
A flaky crust full of juicy ripe backyard tomatoes, topped with cheese, and baked till golden!
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Peel the tomatoes and slice them into ¼-inch thick slices.
Sprinkle the tomato slices with kosher salt and place them in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to attract out extra juice.
Put together the pie crust by poking it with the tines of a fork. Sprinkle ¼ cup of mozzarella on the underside and bake for 10 minutes or till frivolously browned. Put aside to chill.
In a separate bowl, mix ¼ cup cheddar cheese and ¼ cup mozzarella.
Season the tomato slices with garlic powder, oregano, and freshly floor black pepper. Within the pie crust, add half of the tomato slices, half of the cheese and half of the basil. Repeat the layers. High with halved grape tomatoes.
In a small bowl, mix the remaining ¼ cup cheddar cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, and mayonnaise. Dot the mayo combination over the grape tomatoes.
Cut back the temperature to 350°F and bake the pie uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or till the crust is golden and the tomatoes are tender.
Cool for half-hour earlier than serving.
Maintain leftovers within the fridge for as much as 4 days. This pie may be served heat, at room temperature, or chilly.
Energy: 194 | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 6g | Fats: 13g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Ldl cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 546mg | Potassium: 106mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 415IU | Vitamin C: 4.1mg | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 0.8mg
Diet data offered is an estimate and can fluctuate primarily based on cooking strategies and types of components used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.